* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
s o m e • f o o d • f o r • t h o u g h t

food is fabulous....and the fact of the matter is there is nothing i would rather do than go out for delicious delights with my dear dear friends. Sweet, savory and oh so yummy is there really anything more marvelous than spending time with the people you love dining over delectables? ...and so kate's kitchen escapades was born.....this little "ode to food" chronicles my love for eating and the oh so exciting adventure that dining out can be.........so read it, enjoy, eat, drink and be merry... i hope you love it as much as i love sharing it with you..…..

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

the house that chan built

The House of Chan

I sat across the table from my father at dinner last night and calculated that I had eaten more then 100 meals at this time honored establishment....not having been in weeks I was ecstatic when The House of Chan was suggested for dinner and was looking forward to the stone crabs and key lime pie that have been recently added to their menu. Flown in from the infamously famous Joe's Stone Crab restaurant in Florida, these tasty treats have caused quite the stir around town. I have had them on numerous occasions and am pleased to report that not only do they travel well but, they are just as delicious as when "Joe" serves them himself. Like it was when I was just a little girl, my father ordered our usual smorgasbord: ribs, steak, vegetables, fried rice, wonton soup, cantonese noodle stir-fry, lobster and now the newly added stone crabs. As the food arrived we helped ourselves to little bits of this and little bites of that….more food then two could ever consume in one sitting, the great thing about Chan is that leftovers are king and some may even say better the next day. As we finished up our meal, and cracked open our fortune cookies, I looked around…..tables buzzing with families of all sizes, laughter and smiles as people visit with those they came with and those they have unexpectedly run into. One part Chinese restaurant and one part Steak house, Chan reminds us all of how good food really does bring great people together. I smiled as I unrolled the tiny strip of paper that had since fallen onto the table “Decide what you want and go for it” it reads….and so I picked of my fork and scooped the last bite of key lime pie….simply splendid....after all the cookie told me to

The House of Chan
876 Eglinton Ave W,
Toronto, ON

No comments: